Saturday, October 3, 2015

Camino Levante - Day 28 Zamora

Zamora was my personal favorite place when I walked the Camino via de la Plata in 2008. So happy to be back and it is still so beautiful for me. Surprised I still remember where the albergue was and walked straight there. The stone pillar sign is the same, the rooms still cramp, the elevator (yes, the only albergue with elevator) is broken.

Not tired at all after 34 km. With 8 people last night it feels like a crowd here. Found a depressed Italian from Rome in my room of four. His phone stop having a signal and he couldn't call his wife. Tried to help him but to no avail. Later he manage to go a phone shop and surprisingly they did manage to help (turn airplane mode on and off). Anyway he thank me for trying and together both he and another German pilgrim plus me were spending the evening like we were the closest of friends. And I have not even walked with them! Most of the pilgrims here walked the Camino de la Plata coming up from Sevilla. Today I am the only one coming in via the Camino Levante.

The hospitaleros Paul and Hetty in this albergue comes from Holland. They are part of the association and spends a few weeks a year volunteering as the hospitalero in the different albergues across the primary caminos. This year they got Zamora. They had been doing it for the past 5 years.

Anyway. My Camino Levante is done. I could still walk another 412 km to Santiago de Compstela but I have already done the route from here. So this is my end point.

My Camino Levante. 801 km (28 days)
327 km last year (12 days)
474 km this year (16 days)

As I sleep tonight .....
Pilgim mode off... tourist mode on!

Tomorrow I will be spending an extra day relaxing and revisiting the numerous pre-romanesque churches all around Zamora. Love those small churches.

No comments: