Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Camino Primitivo - Day 0

Arrived just before 7 am at the train station in Oviedo today. It was raining. What a way to start the camino. Waited until about 10 am to find out that I could not get my credential (pilgrim passport until 6.30 pm). That's it, I won't be able to start my camino until tomorrow (5th April).

Meanwhile, there's nothing I could really do except checked in a pension and look around the city. One good thing that comes out of this is that I don't need to make a detour tomorrow to see the beautiful pre-romanesque churches around Oviedo.

San Julian is in the city, Santa Maria del Naranco and San Miguel de Lillo about 45 mins walk on the hillside in the outskirts of Oviedo. The churches is stunning. So small and beautiful.



Santa Maria del Naranco



And 500 meters away, San Miguel de Lillo

These photos are courtesy of Stanford U. and Oviuni since I had forgotten to bring my USB adaptor for my camerphone to the internet cafe.

Oviedo is a very nice city. It's big but very comfortable. I particularly liked the fact that it has lots of pensions and hostals next to big hotels.

Also went shopping for a pair of walking sticks. With the credential that I have just got, I can now recharge from all the travelling and transits, and head off into the hills tomorrow to start my camino. I will switch mode from a tourist to a pilgrim then.

No comments: